Changing your course

Everything you need to know

Once you have enrolled, if you have decided you would like to change to a different course, you may need some help to ensure you follow the correct procedures and keep your student visa.

If you were granted your visa under streamlined visa processing (SVP), check if the course you want to change to also qualifies for SVP. You usually also need permission from your existing education provider to change courses. You should always check your student visa requirements with the Department of Immigration.

Important steps to changing your course



Discuss your plans with the International Student Support Office of your educational institution.



Check your student visa requirements with the Department of Immigration.


Work out costs

Work out the cost of the new course, including application, assessment and tuition fees, as well as books and equipment.


Read your agreement

Check your written agreement with your current educational institution.



Visit the new campus meet staff and check out the facilities.



Cancel your existing course enrolment.



Keep a copy of your course cancellation and new enrolment paperwork.

Making a complaint

If you are not satisfied with your institution or course, the first step is to make a complaint directly to your institution through their internal complaints process.

They then provide you with a written explanation of the outcome of your complaint.

Contacting an external complaints-handling body

If you are not satisfied with the outcome, you can contact an external complaints-handling body.

  • If you are studying at a public education institution such as a University or TAFE, contact the NSW Ombudsman.
  • If you are studying at a private education institution, contact the Overseas Student Ombudsman.