Support services

Whatever your needs, there are many student support services available for international students. Learn about the types of support you can access in NSW.

Study and learning support

If you need support, your education institution can offer a range of standard and specialist student services to meet your needs. Support for international students in NSW will vary between institutions and may include:

  • study and learning support
  • support with academic writing
  • navigating cultural challenges.

To find out more about student services and support, please contact your education institution.

Top 5 free places to get help

  1. Service NSWExternal Link , for access to essential government services like photo ID
  2. Redfern Legal CentreExternal Link , which provides international students with free legal advice funded by Study NSW 
  3. The International Student Health Hub  which lists available health resources across more than 50 organisations
  4. NSW Fair Trading, for consumer guidanceExternal Link  like buying a car, and information on renting a homeExternal Link 
  5. The Fair Work OmbudsmanExternal Link  for help in understanding your rights and entitlements in the workplace

Government support services

If you need help, you can contact these government agencies. 

student reading book at bookshop

NSW Fair Trading

NSW Fair Trading can help you resolve disputes related to shopping, refunds, renting, buying and selling property, cars, product safety, scams and more.

Trio of students outside Sydney Harbour Bridge

NSW Ombudsman

The NSW Ombudsman is an independent and impartial watchdog that can help you with complaints about public universities, TAFE colleges and public schools.

Employee with clipboard and high vis vest

Safe Work NSW

SafeWork NSW can help you understand you and your employers' rights and responsibilities and enforce workplace health and safety laws in NSW.

Picnic at Western Sydney parklands

Anti-Discrimination NSW

Anti-Discrimination NSW can provide support if you are discriminated against, sexually harassed, vilified or victimised in NSW, and you need to lodge a complaint form.

Woman at Sydney University looking onto quadrangle

The Commonwealth Ombudsman

The Commonwealth Ombudsman can help if you are a future, current or former international student who has an issue with a private education institution such as a school, college or university in Australia.

friends enjoying dining out with pizza

Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA)

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority can help provide fair, free and independent dispute resolution for financial complaints.

VET hospitality students outside

Australia Skills Quality Authority (ASQA)

The national regulator for vocational education and training.

Students by lockers

Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA)

TEQSA are responsible for regulating and assuring the quality of all providers of higher education in Australia.