Visa information

Study, work and live in Australia with a student visa.

Friends doing a conference call

All international students need student visa to study in Australia

When you hold a student visa, you can live, work and study in some of Australia's most iconic locations. To get started you need to apply for the right subclass and provide required documentation.

Explore visa options for studying in Australia through the Department of Home Affairs.External Link  

Study and training visa subclasses

There are multiple visa subclasses to study in Australia:

  • student visa (subclass 500)
  • student guardian visa (subclass 590)
  • training visa (subclass 407)

To learn more, please visit Department of Home Affairs Visa ListExternal Link .

Student visa application eligibility 

Whether you’re applying for university courses or pursuing vocational education, there are strict student visa requirements for applicants. To be eligible for a visa you must meet:

  • student visa English requirements such an approved English language test
  • student visa finance requirements such as evidence of funds for courses and living in Australia
  • confirmation of enrolment with an Australian education provider
  • academic entry requirements such as proof of academic performance.
  • genuine temporary entrant requirements
  • health requirements such as proof of overseas student health cover
  • Insurance requirements such as proof of international student travel insurance for the duration of your stay.

The Australian Government has a range of criteria that applies to overseas students seeking a visa. This includes student visa working hours and hours of study you must complete in Australia.

To learn more please visit Department of Home AffairsExternal Link .

Students at university campus

Post-study work opportunities

Most international students return overseas after completing their studies in Australia. For those looking to build on their studies with work experience, the Australian Government provides post-study work rights for many international students.

Visit the Department of Home AffairsExternal Link  for further information.

NSW Business & Skilled Migration Program 

NSW nominates prospective migrants in state and territory nominated visa categories to support its economy and communities through the settlement of highly skilled migrants who are committed to living and working in NSW long term.

While international students are eligible to apply, the NSW program is highly competitive. International students may find it difficult to compete against more experienced professionals also seeking nomination.

Visit NSW Business & Skilled MigrationExternal Link  for further information. 

Graduate working in hotel industry