Work rights

Australia is a great place to work while you are studying. Here is everything you need to know about your rights in the workplace as an international student.

Barista smiling whilst holding coffee in Sydney CBD.

Working on a student visa

International students have the same workplace rights as anyone else working in Australia. You may get a part-time or casual job to help pay your living expenses while you study in NSW.

Student visa holders in Australia are now eligible to work for up to 48 hours per fortnight during term time and full-time during holidays. It is important to check your visa rules to ensure you are allowed to work before you start looking for a job.

Check Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO)External Link .

From 1 July 2023, student visa holders can work no more than 48 hours a fortnight while studying.

To learn more, visit Home AffairsExternal Link .

Your rights in the workplace

If you plan to get a job, it’s important to know what you are entitled to. 

The Australian Government's Fair Work Ombudsman can help you prepare for your new job. They offer a range of free resources and tools, including a Guide to Starting a New JobDownload File  and the ‘Starting a New Job’ online course at Link 

The Ombudsman can also help if you are having workplace issues, without the risk of your visa being cancelled. This includes issues such as not getting the right pay or other entitlements, like leave or notice.

For more information visit the Fair Work Ombudsman.External Link 

Safety at work

Your manager must give you appropriate training, supervision, information and equipment to ensure you can work safely.

Visit SafeWork NSWExternal Link  for information about safety at work.  

Mental health, just like physical health, is an important part of work health and safety. Recognising and managing risks in the workplace that may lead to physical or psychological injury is an essential part of creating a safe, healthy and productive workplace.

To find out how to create a mentally healthy workplace, please visit the Mental Health at WorkExternal Link  website.

nurse smiling during training at hospital

Types of employment in Australia

There are three types of employment in Australia: full-time work, part-time work and casual work.

The type of employment you choose will determine how many hours you can work, rates of pay, breaks and entitlements. All types of employment will also require tax and superannuation to be paid.

You can use the Fair Work Ombudsman's Pay and Conditions Tool External Link to learn more about:

  • pay rates
  • penalties and allowances
  • leave entitlements.

If you have questions about your pay and conditions at work, visit Link  for help.

Post-study work opportunities

Most international students return overseas after completing their studies in Australia. For those looking to build on their studies with work experience, the Australian Government provides post-study work rights for many international students.

Visit the Department of Home AffairsExternal Link  for further information.

NSW Business & Skilled Migration Program 

NSW nominates prospective migrants in state and territory nominated visa categories to support its economy and communities through the settlement of highly skilled migrants who are committed to living and working in NSW long term.

While international students are eligible to apply, the NSW program is highly competitive. International students may find it difficult to compete against more experienced professionals also seeking nomination.

Visit NSW Business & Skilled MigrationExternal Link  for further information. 

Graduate working at Cricket NSW