2016 NSW International Student Awards winners announced
11 October 2016
2016 NSW INTERNATIONAL STUDENT AWARDS WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Date: 11 October 2016
Congratulations to the winners of the 2016 International Student Awards, announced at the Sydney Opera House on Tuesday 11 October. Minister for Trade, Tourism and Major Events Stuart Ayres officiated at the awards ceremony and congratulated all winners and finalists.
International Student of the Year Award
- Higher Education: Bijay Sapkota (Nepal) and Sumiya Sultan (Bangladesh) were co-winners of this category
- Vocational Education and Training (VET): Rumbidzaishe Mazhura (Zimbabwe) won in the category
- English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS): Sister Maria Angeles Melero Quevedo (Spain)
- Schools: Abigail Aguilar (Philippines)
International Student Community Engagement Award
- The Welcome Dinner Project, a joiningthedots initiative, won the Business/Community Group category
- The Social Engagement and Leadership Program (SELP) at Western Sydney University took out the Education Provider category
About the awards
Organised by StudyNSW within the NSW Department of Premier and Cabinet the awards celebrate outstanding contributions made by international students to communities in NSW, and acknowledge the organisations that support international students with community programs and initiatives.
Education providers are invited to nominate a current international student who:
- is an inspirational role model to their community
- has demonstrated an achievement or contribution that adds value to the community through touching the lives of others, and/or participating in the community, and /or volunteer work.
Watch the video: